When the first peasant settlers arrived in the Kempele area ca. 500 years ago, the sea coast was closer to town than it is now. Kempele, which belonged to the Greater Liminka region in the 1500's was a small, trivial village compared to the old village centres in the region.
Kempele was first recorded in a tithe listing. At the time Kempele consisted of three houses. Kempele became separate from Greater Liminka in 1774 after it received full church rights. 1867 saw Kempele transforming to a municipality administration.
In 1688, after many colourful events Kempele parishioners were allowed to build a prayer room. The parishioners were not satisfied with this and proceeded to build a church with a fine steeple. The church is built in the Ostrabonian, support pillar style, with a westerly facing steeple. The church was built to a general structural gothic design. The steeple was not only a design feature but also served as a sign for seafarers. The church bell tower is thought to be from 1769 and is built in the renaissance style.